Monday, June 29, 2009

Birthday In Review

Yesterday was my birthday. It is amazing how quickly time flies. It felt like just yesterday I was a youth pastor in Miami telling my seniors that I wasn't that far removed from where they were and now I'm 36 and far from cool, not that I ever was. I'm not hung up on my age at all, because God thru recent events has been really showing me the importance of celebrating today and maximizing the moments He gives us. I got to say that yesterday was one of the best birthdays I have had in recent memories. Not because I got an expensive gift, or because there was a huge party thrown for me, but because God reaquainted me with how blessed I truly am.

I have been blessed with Godly parents, who kicked off my birthday singing to me over the phone, not a little happy birthday jingle, but a Christian blessing over me. They both shared how daily they pray for me and my family and for God's will to be done in my life. They shared with me how proud they were of me. As I drove to church I realized how blessed I was to have the parents that I have. Parents that love and model Jesus. They were and are not perfect, but I'm telling you that I never saw two people sacrifice more for their kids than my parents. Barely a high school education between the two of them, yet they never complained. Worked hard every day to insure that my brother, sister and I could have every opportunity available to us.

I went to church and for the first time in some weeks I was able to sit back and worship. I did not have to worry about having to bring a message, but I had the opportunity to just sit under the authority of God's Word and be convicted, refreshed and challenged. In that moment I realized how blessed I have been to be a small part of such a wonderful, thriving and amazing ministry. I have been so blessed to be a part of a Team of men and women who love Jesus and who are so willing to lose their names to live for His. God you are so good.

All day yesterday, I received calls, text messages, twitters, facebook posts, from people wishing me a happy birthday and some sharing some kind words that just humbled me. I had students that I taught when they were just in 5th grade who are now in college, students from youth ministries that I pastored over, students that my wife and I coached in cheerleading, friends from long ago, new friends, church partners, family members and some kind words from some of my closest friends. I was absolutely blown away and blessed. I realized how gracious God has been to allow me the opportunity to share life with so many different people and learn so much from so many of them.


Lastly, I got to spend a lot of time with my wife and kids yesterday. They continue to be the greatest blessing in my life aside from my salvation. It was awesome to see my kids tear into the gifts that their mom had purchased for me. It was so funny to read my wife's ridiculous card, and because I know minors read this blog, I will have to save you from the details...just kidding. The topper of the day was the last gift my wife gave me. They were pictures of her for my new office. She had done a photo shoot with a young lady who is like a daughter to us. Man, I was so blown away on so many different fronts. First, this is not like my wife at all. She does not like to stand out in any way, shape or form. She would much rather be in the background. So for her to do this for me, I truly felt loved. The other thing that got to me, was as I marveled at her outward beauty, I was tearing up just thinking of how beautiful she is inside and out, and how blessed I am to share life with my best friend. It has been an incredible 12 years with the woman of my prayers. I continue to be amazed by God's activity in and thru my wife. She has sacrificed so much, given of herself in so many different way and has been so selfless that I pray daily that I never take her for granted, but receive her daily as God's gift to me.

Yesterday, was not about gifts, it was about reflecting and celebrating the goodness and faithfulness of God. Truly a wonderful, wonderful day, even if I am one step closer to hair in the ears, chester draws and my hair falling out...it is ALL GOOD!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

happy birthday!
and Pam looks gorgeous in that picture you posted.
God is doing awesome things in Summit, thank you for being willing and obedient to Him.

Unknown said...

louis vuitton, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, louboutin outlet, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, nike free, louis vuitton, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp, ray ban sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, prada outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, replica watches, louboutin, christian louboutin outlet, air max, gucci outlet, air jordan pas cher, nike roshe run, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, jordan shoes, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, prada handbags, michael kors, uggs on sale, chanel handbags, louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, nike free, louboutin pas cher, sac longchamp, ugg boots, tiffany and co, burberry

Unknown said...

kate spade handbags, tn pas cher, lacoste pas cher, michael kors outlet, michael kors, michael kors, timberland, vanessa bruno, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, coach outlet, true religion jeans, oakley pas cher, burberry outlet online, nike roshe, michael kors outlet, nike air max, true religion jeans, coach outlet, new balance pas cher, nike free run uk, north face, michael kors outlet, sac guess, north face, nike air max, michael kors, lululemon, coach purses, michael kors, hogan, burberry, mulberry, nike air max, hollister, converse pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet, replica handbags, ray ban uk, ralph lauren uk, true religion outlet, ugg boots, ray ban pas cher, nike blazer, ugg boots, hermes, hollister pas cher, air force

Unknown said...

reebok shoes, hollister, soccer shoes, ralph lauren, gucci, babyliss, lululemon, herve leger, louboutin, birkin bag, lancel, jimmy choo shoes, nike huarache, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, vans shoes, hollister, baseball bats, new balance, ghd, iphone cases, nike air max, giuseppe zanotti, chi flat iron, north face outlet, vans, ray ban, timberland boots, p90x workout, abercrombie and fitch, insanity workout, ferragamo shoes, wedding dresses, nike roshe, hollister, asics running shoes, longchamp, celine handbags, instyler, oakley, nfl jerseys, mcm handbags, converse outlet, beats by dre, mont blanc, valentino shoes, nike trainers, mac cosmetics, north face outlet, nike air max

Unknown said...

ugg,uggs,uggs canada, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, moncler outlet, moncler, canada goose, supra shoes, canada goose uk, moncler, links of london, moncler, karen millen, moncler, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, doudoune canada goose, replica watches, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, swarovski crystal, canada goose, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, coach outlet, bottes ugg, louis vuitton, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, thomas sabo, swarovski, canada goose outlet, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, ugg boots uk, canada goose, hollister, canada goose outlet, sac louis vuitton pas cher, moncler, ugg pas cher