Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Another Mile...seriously?



I have been reading this book by Mel Blackaby. It is an easy read but I am enjoying it a lot. This book has really caused me to look introspectively into my heart and life. The thesis of this book comes out of Matthew 5:38-45 In that passage Jesus says "whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two." What Jesus is referring to there is the custom and law of the day. You see Roman soldiers would have to carry all of their gear as they traveled from town to town. It was law that at any time that a Roman soldier could require someone to carry his gear for one mile. By law the person chosen by the soldier person would have to drop whatever they were doing and carry the pack for a mile. One mile was the limit. Once that mile had been achieved the soldier would have to haul the stuff himself or get another chump to carry his stuff. Now carry the stuff wasn't the worst part for a Jew. For a Jew to carry the pack of an enemy made it even worse. But Jesus says go the extra mile...

Mel's point is that Jesus doesn't call us to do our duty; He calls us to what is not our duty. It isn't our duty to turn the other check, go another mile or repay evil with a blessing, but Christ wants us to dispense grace. Now here is the kicker, Jesus wants us to do this because this exactly what He has done for us and continues to do. Going the extra mile is hard, there is no doubt about it. The extra mile wars against my flesh, my pride, my, my, my, but Jesus went even further. Going the extra mile demonstrates the heart of Christ and reflects the Father's glory. I am praying that God would well up in me that type of spirit, heart and focus, that I would do what is not my duty and know that in doing so I reflect the life and love of my Savior Jesus Christ. I pray that you will also consider going the extra mile.

No comments: