Monday, November 26, 2007

Walk Baby Walk...


My wife and I have been working with my one year old daughter, Emily, who we affectionately call the "queen bee", (if you knew her you would know why) on getting her to walk. Two days ago we had this huge breakthrough as she walked across the living room several times.
Each time I would stand her up in a certain spot and then stretch my arms out towards her and say "walk baby walk."
You could almost see her brain turning as she would look at me and contemplate whether she should really try it or just go back to the floor where it was safe. There were times that she would dare to take those frightful steps and than other times where she would quickly squat down and begin to crawl sometimes in a totally different direction.
As I got my daughter up this morning I was reflectting back to that scene of trying to get my daughter to walk. You see for quite some time now God has set something on my heart and I know that at some point it is going to require that I too "walk." But the reality is that just like my daughter I am going to have to overcome some doubt and some fears and trust the ONE who is bidding me to come. As I have had time to reflect and pray this morning God revealed to me that I need to be training my heart in this matter of "walking" a lot more, in fact daily. But, to be totally honest I have allowed some complacency to settle into my heart. I desire to have the faith to step out of the boat, but to tell you the truth at times I like the party that is going on in the boat way too much. I thank God for His patience with me and I pray that He will continue to call me to "walk" and I hope that I will have the faith to respond. The Bible is clear that without faith it is impossible to please God...so my challenge to myself and to whoever stumbles across these ramblings is "walk baby walk."

No comments: