Monday, April 7, 2008

Running (part#1)

Since September of last year I have really become interested in running. I have been getting up four to five times a week at a god-forsaken hour and have been going for runs. I have truly enjoyed the time running because I have found it to be a great sanctuary for me to have some time to meditate, reflect and pray. And although I have never, ever enjoyed running I have always wanted to run a marathon. I know sounds absolutely stupid considering I truly did not enjoy running. However, I know have a new found respect and love for the sport of running. Now I am a long way from being ready, but there is so much I have learned through this new found journey that parallel well to our spiritual walk with Christ.

For example it is so much more enjoyable and beneficial to run with a partner. Just in the last few weeks, I have been running with one of my good friends and co-workers, Todd Milby. The guy is truly a machine. Over the last year the guy has lost over 100lbs and has kept it off. He bikes religiously with a group of guys from the Coconut Point Mall Trek store and he has become pretty passionate about it. His goal is to do a triathlon pretty soon. Running with a partner has really helped me. Todd and I push each other pretty well. My times have improved and it has made the runs more enjoyable, not to mention there is greater accountability now. Well it is not a stretch in my mind to look at some of these things and to see the parallel in our christian walk. God did not create us to live in isolation. He created us to live in community. God desires that we run this race together, so that we could encourage one another, enjoy the journey and hold each other accountable.

As a pastor it breaks my heart to see so many people running alone. If by some chance you have stumbled across this blog, let me pose this question to you, "who do you run with?" If by chance you don't have someone, please find a good church or good small group to plug into. I am promise you, it is a decision that you will not regret.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

mike and i noticed how slim you looked while preaching Sunday. Great job to you too!!
mel