Saturday, August 30, 2008

Guatemala Visit


I have been in Guatemala this week and I am looking forward to flying home later today. It is always tough to be away from my wife and kids and I am so grateful for a supportive wife who has always encouraged me in my pursuit of fulfilling God's call on my life. This aim of this trip was to see the ministry Living Water up close and to see some of the things that they are doing in the different regions of Guatemala. I hope to bring a group back in December and hopefully our college students during their Spring Break. I have really enjoyed my time here. I have been pretty impressed with what the ministry has accomplished here in this region and I have loved getting to know some of the missionaries on the ground here.

We have had the privilege to meet the vice mayor and the governor who are both strong believers. I was so impressed with their humility, fear of the Lord and their deep concern for the people of their country. Yesterday the vice-mayor took us to one of the poorest areas in which they are working hard to bring hope and relief to. I have been to several different places around the world and I have seen poverty up close, but it doesn't matter how many times you see it, it will still break your heart. It is always such a convicting thing. You are quickly brought face to face with how blessed we truly are and how clueless we are to the reality of how most of the world lives. In spite of the deep poverty we saw we found the people to be quite resilient and extremely friendly.