Thursday, December 6, 2007

Garden of Gethsemane


Today was another incredible day in Jerusalem. We had the opportunity to visit the Mount of Olives and walk down the path that Jesus took as He made His triumphal entry into the city. On our way down we stopped in the Garden of Gethsemane and it was incredible. We were told to just scatter amongst the trees and sit and spend time meditating, reflecting and praying. Without sounding to extreme it was literally one of the most moving spiritual experiences I have ever had. I truly felt as though my heart and spirit connected with God.

I began to reflect on what Jesus must have felt that night He took His trusted disciples to that place when He prayed. I began to imagine the agony He must have felt. I began to truly think about the fact that Jesus was about to take on the very thing that His Father found repugnant; sin. The One who knew NO sin became sin for us the Bible tell us. That came alive for me today. My mind began to visualize Christ's agony as He prayed Father if it be Your will, let this cup pass from Me, but if not may Your will be done! Imagine that, the Father's will being that His Son, the spotless, sinless Holy One become the spotless lamb for us. As a pastor I have often challenged people not to take on cheap crosses or minimize with their lives the price Christ paid. Today I in that Garden I was told the same thing. Jesus Christ suffered and died for me, my only reasonable response is to live for Him. And I am not talking about going to church or checking off my list that I have read my Bible and prayed, no today I was reminded that I am called to die to myself and live for Him. Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. (Phil. 2:5-8)

I pray the same for my family, friends, co-laborers in in the Gospel, the people God has called me to minister to and any who may by some chance stumble upon these ramblings. May our hearts' cry be that we want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death...

No comments: