Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Jesus Paid It All


Today we completed our first day of tours in Jerusalem and the sights were just overwhelming. There is something so special and majestic about this place. From the moment we arrived and began to walk through this holy city I was just blown away at all of the historical sights and the significance behind each one. Every mountain, hillside and valley came alive in my heart and mind, but nothing really compared to what I experienced at the Garden Tomb. As we walked through the garden I was captivated by the stones and all of its surrounding beauty. Then we came to a spot where the tour guide stopped and said behind us is the place where many scholars and theologians believe Jesus Christ was crucified: Calvary, Golgatha, the Place of the Skull. And all of a sudden there was a hush and we all could do nothing but stand in awe. Our minds and hearts were left to wonder what agony, what pain the Son of God must of felt. If you look closely at the rocks you will see that they actually look like a skull. The spotless lamb of God died to give men life. Being at that sight did not make it more real for me, but it certainly did impact my heart in a powerful way.

What stood out to me is that right below that spot where Jesus is believed to have been crucified is a huge Muslim tower that sounds the call throughout the day for muslims to pray. As we stood there meditating and praying the sound went off and my spirit was literally grieved. There is still so many who have not come to know the TRUE Messiah. In a fresh way I got a look at every man, woman and child and I pray that it would not leave me any time soon.

As we continued the tour we came to the place where it is believed that Jesus was buried and rose again from. It was amazing to see such a long line to enter a tomb to see nothing...for He is not there here has risen! I sat for a moment and began to pray and a song that we sing at Summit often welled up in my heart..."Jesus paid it all and all to Him I owe, sin had left a crimson stain but He washed me white as snow." It truly was a wonderful day, one I will soon not forget. Like I said coming to Jerusalem does not make what Jesus did anymore real, so whether you get to travel to this great land or not, I pray that you will not forget the fact that Jesus did pay it all. Walk worthy, walk loudly and may your life tell the story of the transforming power of Jesus Christ! Shalom.