Thursday, December 27, 2007

Just Don't Want to Miss A Thing...


Yesterday was a great day. We took the kids to the Miami Seaquarium. It was our two kids, our three nephews, our niece, my in-laws and my wife's younger sister. It was really a lot fun., honestly. That morning I had enjoyed some really good time alone with the Lord. I began to pray about the things that I am believing God for in 2008. (I will share some of those things at a later date.)

Ephesians 3:20 states "Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think."

I began to let that verse and many others just soak in and I began to think through what I am trusting and believing God for in this upcoming year. During that time one thing that I felt the Lord wanted me to know is to have my eyes and heart open to His activity. God is at work all the time and I am so guilty of repeatedly missing His activity. I really felt as though the Lord was saying don't miss anything, not a second from the smallest thing to the simply unexplainable; it's all Him and it all points back to Him. I felt as though God was saying "don't become so self absorbed, so consumed with work, so anxious with the things of this world that you miss the beauty of what only I can do."

So here we are that Seaquarium and in a way like only God can I was brought right back to that truth. There we were sitting in the dolphin theater after a long day, enjoying the show, and as the evening came to a close they shot off a very impressive fire works show. My son, Max, was sitting on my lap just smiling from ear to ear, clapping his hands, moving his head from side to side trying to capture the view from every angle; to the right of me was my little girl, Emily, sitting on my wife's lap and her smile was just as big and she was just loving it!!! And in that moment I just thought, man I am so blessed. It was one of those moments that I could really see all that God has done for me and my family. It wasn't too long ago that the thought or discussion of children would leave my wife and I heavy hearted and yet in 15 months God allowed us to adopt two beautiful kids. Just seven months ago my son was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and a fireworks show like the one we experienced last night would have gone virtually unnoticed by him. God has done amazing things and He continues to show His power and glory. Unfortunately I tend to miss it. I fail to recognize that the smile of my children, the embrace of my wife, the moments that we share as a family are all tangible ways that God is revealing Himself. I say I am always looking for the next big thing, but the truth is I probably have missed my fair share of them because I fail to realize that everything in my life is a big thing because it comes from an even bigger and infinite God.

I do have some big things that I am trusting and believing God for in 2008, but as I wait upon the Lord I hope and pray that I will not miss a minute of His power and presence in the everyday. In fact I pray that for you as well. I challenge you to dream dreams that are as big as God is and pray prayers that are as big as He is as well, but keep your eyes open to the ways He is at work in your life every day. The truth is the greatest fireworks display in the world could never compare to the beauty of the glory of God when it is revealed!

1 comment:

LifeDevoted said...

Hi Orlando,
Beautiful post!

I miss everyone at summit,but am adjusting to life at home.While I am not 100% sure of what the future holds, I'm slowly reminded that God's got it all in His hands. I still havent hardly touched my Bible for quiet time since graduation, but I know that takes time.
Hope everything's good w/ everyone at Summit! Check out my last post, about my uncle and cousin,they could use the prayers.
God bless!
Lauren Nee