Monday, June 23, 2008

Because You say so...

What I love about the Bible is that regardless how many times you read a particular piece of Scripture or a specific story God can still illuminate your mind and heart to something new.
Currently God has been revealing so much to me through His Truth. I told my buddy, Jamin, last night that I am just enjoying reading the Scriptures, I know that sounds absolutely stupid coming from a pastor, but unfortunately one of things that I fall into, because I am a pastor is reading the Word for the purpose of a sermon, or an answer to someone's question instead of simply for the purpose of communing with the Creator of the universe.

In this season, I have made a conscious decision to truly read the Word for all that its worth. I have even paced back my other reading, which I do enjoy to truly focus on the Scriptures. This morning I was reading a very familiar story to many. It is found in Luke chapter 5 where Jesus calls His first disciples. Jesus is teaching a long the Lake of Gennesaret and a huge crowd was forming. Along the shore were some fisherman and Jesus asked one of them to row Him out away from the shore so that He could teach the people from the boat. Once He was done speaking he said to Simon, "Put out into the deep water, and let down the nets for a catch." Simon answered, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything..."
There were a couple of things that caught my heart and mind this morning as I read this text.
Fishing was a common trade back then and it was really hard work, so Simon's initial push back was understandable. Jesus we've already tried and to be honest I'm tired, I'm beat, why don't we save it for another day. All of that would be perfectly understandable, but what I love is what Simon says just after his initial response..."But because You say so, I will let down my nets." Did you catch that? Simon initially says, I really don't want to, but because of who YOU are Jesus I will. What a beautiful picture of obedience.

Obedience is truly one of the most important keys to the Christian life. Obedience has nothing to do with how I feel, or what I think, or how I see the situation, it is all wrapped up in understanding who is in control of my life and who is the One that is making requests of it. I began to think about how much stronger my walk with Christ would be, how much greater my service to the Kingdom would be, how much more effective I would be as a husband and a father if this could truly be my daily moment by moment response, "because You, Jesus, say so, I will___________!"(just fill in the blank) I began to reflect on some things that maybe Jesus has called me to do that I haven't yet, because I am too busy giving Him the list of reasons why I don't want to...but we all know that delayed obedience is still disobedience! I am praying that the Lord would help me to live in this fashion and mindset every day. I pray that God is constantly shaping and molding my heart to say yes to Him, regardless of the request...because YOU say so, I will! That's my prayer, and if by chance you've stumbled across this blog I pray that will be your prayer as well.

No comments: