Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Cinderella"

One of the great gifts my wife and kids got me for Father's Day is the book "Cinderella, The Love of a Daddy and His Princess" written by Steven Curtis Chapman. Many of you know that a month ago Steven lost one of little girls in a tragic accident. As I began to read this book my heart broke. Steven wrote this book a while ago before the tragedy. In this book Steven recounts some of the precious moments that he has had with his little girls. In the introduction he explains how God had arrested his heart and had reminded him to capture and enjoy all the moments that he has been given with his children. To enjoy every smile, every laugh and to maximize every moment with his kids. That revelation stirred his heart to write a song to his little girls entitled "Cinderella" and to write this book. I don't think Steven ever imagined that months later he would lose one of his precious little girls. I am not exactly sure why God allows things like this to happen, but I know that He is sovereign and I know that even when we can not understand His ways we can trust His heart. My prayers go out to Steven Curtis Chapman and his family. I pray that the nearness of God continues to be their strength during this time and I do pray that God would some how bring comfort, peace and joy to their hearts and lives.

I can't help but to read this book and pray, "Lord help me to maximize every moment. May I never become so distracted by ministry that I lose sight of the larger call you have placed on my life and that is the call of husband and father." It may be easy to say that we will not miss a minute or a squander away opportunities for life long memories, but our lives do get cluttered and we do get distracted. That is why it is so important to ask God to help us and convict us to not just be present but to be there in each of the precious moments that we get to enjoy our kids. I leave you with a verse from Steven Curtis Chapman's song...

"Oh I will dance with Cinderella, I don't want to miss even one song 'cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight and she'll be gone."

1 comment:

LifeDevoted said...

"cinderella" is such a beautiful song. The Chapman's tragedy just shows how precious life is,and we truly never know when our time on earth will end.

Thanks for the reminder of always being able to trust God's heart