Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Blessed by My Mom

Yesterday my mom celebrated her 68 birthday. I called her last night to wish her a happy birthday and we had a great talk. It was awesome to hear her recount the greatest memories that she has of her life. At the top of the list was her decision to trust Christ at the age of 17. I loved to hear her explain that though her life has never been easy God has always been faithful. God had always provided and had always brought her peace even in the midst of the most difficult of situations. It was such a great reminder for me. I have such tremendous respect for my mom. She has worked hard her entire life and she has been through so much yet she continues to persevere. I have learned so much by her example and her authentic faith in Jesus Christ. Though she is small in stature her life has spoken loudly to me and to countless others. My mom never held a high paying job or held any position of high recognition, but she strived every day to live her life for the glory of God and in the end that is all that really matters. One of the things that my mom shared with me last night was that she hoped that after she was gone that we, her kids, could look back and truly say that mom loved us and did all she could to bring and offer the best to us. I quickly reassured her that she had no reason to worry about that. I know that both my brother and sister would say that our mom truly did a wonderful job of providing, loving and caring for us. After I hung up the phone I could not help but to evaluate my life as a father and although I am really early into this dad thing, it's never to soon to be thinking about the job I am doing in providing, loving, caring and leaving a legacy of godliness and true faith. I pray that God continue to shape me into the man, father, and husband that he has called me to be. I pray that my kids would see Christ in me not just hear about him from my lips, and I pray that as my mom had stayed faithful to the call I would too. Just some random ramblings...God Bless!

2 comments:

Erin Gari said...

You are an amazing Dad and even though not my "real" dad...you have taught me a ton, and I don't even know how to thank you for that.

LifeDevoted said...

I see how you interact with your kids, you are a great dad! I also know you have taught me so much and I am so grateful for that.