Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Being with Jesus

I was reading through Acts 4 and I was caught by a familiar verse that I am sure many have read and it is found in verse 13. Acts chapter four is the story of Peter and John who have been brought before the Sanhedrin because of the commotion they caused just outside the Temple gates by healing a lame man who was sitting by the gate begging for money. Peter in chapter 3 turns to this man and says" sliver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk." Incredible, unbelievable moment, this man the Bible states gets up and walks. Now you can just imagine the scene...many people knew this guy, they passed day after day week after week. And here he is now, the Bible states walking and jumping around. People were absolutely tongue to the ground astonished. Not everyone was happy about this joyous event. You see Peter and John used this divine moment to proclaim the Gospel and the religious leaders of the day were having none of that. So Peter and John are brought before this council and interrogated.

Now I love this, instead of shrinking back and becoming sheepish, Peter and John continue to remain bold. And in verse 13 the Bible states >"When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus." Now as we pastor types like to say...that'll preach.
These religious leaders, these anti-christian, anti-gospel, ancient day thugs, the Bible states were ASTONISHED. Astonished at what? It wasn't their schooling, their articulation, it wasn't even the miracle. It was their COURAGE and it was the fact that their lives looked different. They weren't lives just professing Christ, but lives that had actually been with Him and had been transformed by Him.

I read that verse and meditated on it for awhile this morning. And a couple of questions quickly came to my mind:

#1. Does my life relect the fact that I have been with Jesus?

#2. Do I show courage/faith that reflects that I truly believe that Christ is bigger than any crisis I face?

#3. In this season is pursuing intimacy with Christ my highest priority?


For the sake of time I will spare you the answers, but I would challenge you to read verse 13 again and reflect on these questions for yourself. A longer rambling than ususal, but I pray it will stir your heart and mind. God Bless You.

No comments: