Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Blessings of God


4 The word of the LORD came to me, saying, 5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." 6 "Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am too young." 7 But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am too young.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD. 9 Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "I have put my words in your mouth. Jeremiah 1:4-9

Over the last year these verses and a host of others has been a great source of encouragement to me in my regards to my son Max. Just over a year ago my son was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. He was eighteen months of age and severely delayed in almost every area of development. My son was withdrawn, detached and in his own world. It has been quite a journey for my wife and I, but God has been so faithful and good to us through this time. I know these are select verses that were spoken directly to the Prophet Jeremiah, but I can tell you that God has used these verses to speak to my heart concerning my son and God's purposes for his life.

It has been incredible to see God's power and healing in my son's life. Over the last year we have seen God draw him out of his own secluded world. Today my son engages us, his friends and his peers. Today my son responds to his name, follows one, two and even three step commands. Today my son is learning to communicate more with signs and words rather than tantrums. Today my son can give and receive affection from us. Today we have a toddler who runs, jumps and climbs all through our home. Today we have a toddler that loves to laugh, smile and play.

Now we know that we have a long road ahead of us, but it has been amazing to see God's faithfulness and power at every turn, every step and every bump. I am trying desperately to cling to God's power and promises. I try to remind my heart every day that long before I knew my son, God knew him and set him apart. There is so much comfort in that. God has me still dreaming and believing great things for my son, not because of therapy, or special schooling or alternative medicine, though we are grateful for all of that. No, I am believing and trusting in God and believing that He alone has huge plans for our boy! Wherever you find yourself today and whatever hurdles stand in your way, don't lose hope. Cling faithfully to God and rest in His power and promises.

2 comments:

LifeDevoted said...

Thanks for the reminder of God's unending love and faithfulness. I needed it:)

Melanie said...

Amen and Praise God