Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Diary of Private Prayer


Three years ago a wonderful couple in our church gave me a wonderful book of prayers written by John Baillie. John Baillie was a Scottish theologian that died in 1960. He has an incredible testimony and his writings are inspiring. I pulled out his diary of prayers again recently and they have once again encouraged my heart. I thought I would share one with you...

Holy Father, from whom alone all good proceeds, let the Christian graces of faith, hope and love be every day more firmly established within me.
O God, I believe-
that You rule all things in wisdom and in righteousness:
that You have called me to be Your loyal servant:
that You do rightfully demand of me complete subservience to Your will:
that in Jesus Christ You have shown me a way of salvation whereby I may be delivered from my sins.
O God, I hope-
for the continuance of Your daily mercies:
for the lessening of sin's hold upon me:
for growth in grace and in true holiness from day to day:
for a day when I shall know even as also I am known.
O God, I love You-
who Yourself are love:
who in love did create me and in love does still preserves me:
who did so love me as to send Your Son to suffer and die that I may live for You and with You:
who has commanded me to show love to You by loving my neighbor for Your glory.
Help my unbelief, O God, give me a greater patience in my hope, and make me more constant in my love. In loving let me believe and in believing let me love and in loving and in believing let me hope for a more perfect love and a more unwavering faith, through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen!

No comments: