Thursday, July 24, 2008

God is My Salvation

Yes my soul, finds rest in God; my hope comes from Him. Truly He is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock and my refuge. Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to Him for God is our refuge. Psalm 62:5-8

I spent my morning at the hospital sitting with the parent of one of our Summit members and a friend of my wife and I. This gentlemen is in bad shape and dying from an acute form of lung cancer. As a pastor these types of visits are always tough to make. You never really know exactly what you are walking into and even though you fully understand that God is sovereign and in control there is always still an ounce of trepidation at least for me. I spent about an hour reading the Scriptures and praying for this gentleman. They have him in a sedated state but I could see his heart beat rise as I read to him. I have never met this man prior til today and I do not know anything about his walk or standing with the Lord. As I sat by his bed side and prayed for him I pondered on how frail life truly is and how quickly it can pass. One of the Scriptures that I read to him was the one posted above Psalm 62:5-8. I could not help but to hope that these verses were part of this gentleman's life song. I also reflected on the fact that they need to be mine.

God is our only salvation and our only hope. He is the only rock and refuge that we can go to in the midst of life's storms. Trusting in God at all times is not just an option, but for the child of God it should be THE OPTION and it should be the posture of our heart and life. Reflect on these verses some more and if today you are in a relationship with God through the life, death and resurrection of His Son Jesus Christ, then thank Him for the hope, refuge, strength, and salvation that He alone provides and gives. If for some reason you stumbled across this collection of ramblings then my prayer is that you would discover for yourself the precious and power gift of God revealed in Jesus Christ. This life is frail, don't waste it.

2 comments:

nathan said...

I got your message about Nigeria...my email has been down. We leave tomorrow for NYC for a family vacation (and to see 2 Yankees games) but i will call you when i return. i'm loving what the Lord is doing in your life, and it is so evident in your posts.

Melanie said...

i was wondering what happened to the 16 year old boy on the side of the road. how amazing that God sent him a pastor and ER doctor.