Monday, July 14, 2008

God is SUPREME...

Colossians 1:15-23 (Today's New International Version)
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross. 21 Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. 22 But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— 23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.

This morning I was meditating over this passage of Scripture. It is one of the most vivid and strongest passages that depict the supremacy of Christ. SUPREMACY---highest in rank, order and authority. God is supreme, there is no debating that. He is the center of everything. He is the one that holds all things together. He is and forever will be King of all. Humbling thoughts, and the more I read this passage the more humbled I was in my heart that God in His grace chose to reconcile me back to Himself through His Son Jesus Christ. He did this not because I was worthy of it or even deserving, but because He is merciful and loving.

God will never relinquish His supreme rank or authority. He is sufficient in Himself, He is glorious and He is mighty. Yet so many times in my life because of my flesh, my pride and my ignorance it's like I am wrestling God for position and for the right to sit on the throne. How stupid and how silly. All the idiotic decisions and mistakes I have made stem directly from the fact that I have failed to acknowledge God's Supremacy. I think about every area of my life as I read verse 17 "in Him all things hold together." I looked up the word "all" in my cool Greek lexicon and guess what it means "ALL". God holds every area of my life together, from my job, to my relationships, to my ministry, to my family, everything God holds together. To fail to acknowledge that fact daily is detrimental to my spiritual walk and life and I have already experienced the effects of such disobedience and sin. I know it sounds corny but He truly does have "the whole wide world in His hands." (come on now you know you want to sing it..."He's got the whole world in His Hands...")

I pray that God would cause my heart to acknowledge His supremacy and cause my heart to bow to it instead of bow up to it. If you get a chance meditate over these verses and may they challenge your view of who God is and may they help you in your daily walk and worship of Him.

1 comment:

LifeDevoted said...

I don't remember when,but just the past few days, I was reminded of verse 17. And, here it is again:) Maybe God's trying to teach me somthing;)